Saturday, January 16, 2010

God I Want a Burger

I am so hungry for meat. I've been craving a burger since... the new year? possibly earlier. Maybe it's because I've been running a lot more. They say that I should be eating more protein (more than you'd ever think necessary) when you exercise. Better than bread, but I crave bread too. So I guess that's a no go.

Anyway, I want a huge hunk of beef smacked between two loaves of bread. Yes whole loaves! Meat that has been cooked slowly over a flame grill so that the outside turns that gorgeous brown while keeping the inside juicy and pink. Pink pink pink pink pink... I want the meat to have the texture of dough, soft, delicious, malleable dough. So that when you bite into it, it falls apart in your mouth and melts with juicy flavor. And I don't mean just any type of juice. This isn't grease we're talking about. The juice runs clear brown-red with tiny bubbles of liquefied fat that glisten on the surface as they swirl around my plate. Juice that drips out the back of the bun, down my hands and wrists. Juice that is salty and savory and sweet all at once.

Then on top I will have sliced tomatoes straight from the garden, ripe and red and tender - the seeds of which have been removed so that only the swollen flesh clinging to the skin is left. Diced onions mixed into the mayonnaise, tart and tangy has been spread onto the bun to keep them from slipping off. And fresh shredded lettuce, as much as could fit in the palm of my hand, has been stashed between it all before the bun is closed.

Meanwhile, a miracle has occurred beneath the burger where cheese has melted into an ooey gooey mess. Pickles, sweet bread and butter pickles have been arranged in an overlapping counterclockwise circle stuck to the bottom bun with ketchup so thick it doesn't move until you tear your bite away. The bun itself is a dense potato bread dusted with cornmeal and sesame seeds before being toasted a golden brown.

It has all been stacked neatly and pricked with a single cocktail toothpick. Ready and waiting for me to scoop it up, two handed, and devoured!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my god. your bloody burger description made me gag. and i am definitely not craving meat. nor will i be for a long time, until i can get that thought out of my head. but glad you like it. however, it sounds like you won't be getting that burger until the summer (if you want real garden tomatoes). good luck with that.

cwawro15 said...

Burgers sounds good..cannot wait for spring/summer for a grilling!