Friday, February 11, 2011

V Day

I love Valentine's Day. I never really gave it any thought before, but now I realize I kind of actually love it.

Only... in a sort of 1960s way? Haha... yes, I know I'm bizarre. But you know those construction paper Valentine's Day cards with the doilies and gold glitter? Yea I love those! And the red sweater you'd wear with a corduroy skirt and white tights that have little hearts printed on them. Am I the only one who had that outfit? Granted, I'm not from the 60s, but the 80s were pretty close. And the music...

Pretty much every love song from the 60s gets me... and 50s, 40s, 30s and okay so I'm a sucker for sappy songs. Whatever! Valentine's just puts me in a sappy mood.

Then there is the color red. It's so appealing lately. I like how vibrant it is! My couch is red and my kitchen towels are red and my backpack is red. Just about anytime I want something happy and bright, I pick out red. And Valentine's Day is all about red. You know... the color of passion! (Which is why I want a red dress... statistically you are more attractive in red, too!)

This weekend I think I'm going to paint in honor of the holiday - smears of dripping wet paint across the blanket of a snow white canvas - sounds inspiring! And if it looks good I'll hang it on my sad sad empty wall. 

And let's not forget about chocolate, my downfall. I absolutely positively crave chocolate sometimes. I definitely have a sweet tooth. Salty things? Who needs them! Coffee? Too bitter! But chocolate, now that is a different story. Melt-in-your-mouth, buttery smooth, nutty and rich, chocolate! No other holiday devotes so much to the idea of chocolate, that aphrodisiacal bean. And with good reason, too. Dark chocolate not only triggers the love drug in our brains (or so they say), but according to Wikipedia possibly works to prevent cancer, stimulate the brain, progress coughs, and raise your heart rate higher like a bout of damn fine kissing!

For all you nay-sayers out there who say you hate Vday for its being too "Hallmark" well... you are just lonely without a man or woman to call your own on this ridiculous of all holidays! Besides, Saint Valentine's Day has a long and dark history that has been all but lost, though deals mostly with the death of martyrs. So aside from a few embellishments, the holiday has been around much longer than Hallmark!

And anyway, I'm alone, too. That doesn't mean I'm going to sit around and be depressed because this is a "couples" holiday... how retarded would that be?? Chances are, come Monday, I'll forget it's even Valentine's. Haha! Oh well

But in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy some chocolate and spend time "making art and love as if my very soul depended on it. Uniting my spiritual and artistic sides of my nature..." Er... at least that's what my horoscope recommended, and frankly, the idea of putting some passion into a work of art sounded cathartic. So I'm off to the Art Supply to get me a canvas!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!!

No comments: