Friday, October 16, 2009

Dear Lord

Dear Lord:

Thank you so much for all the wonderful gifts you have given me in this life. Although I don't show it as often as I should, I greatly appreciate all that I have... and know that things could become much worse! I also know that I take advantage of many situations and forget to give back. However, that is my hope. My hope is to be able to give back to a wider community. I want so much to be able to see others reap the benefits of the work I do in the future. Whether or not that is a bad thing - yet another situation to be taken advantage of where I gain such palpable rewards - I'm not exactly sure. It's a trade off where both parties win, that is for certain. And how can that be bad? In either case, I pray that you will grant me the opportunity to reach this goal of mine.

As you're aware, I received a notice from a job application with the Smithsonian. Please Lord, let this one be the place I'm meant to get a job. I already know that I don't mind the area, I already know I don't mind the staff (even like the staff in Rusty's department, though I can't say the same of the Anthropology depot.), and from what I've seen on the tour I know that at least one researcher has a sense of humor and the facilities are amazing! I know I could do the work:
  • Facilitate access to collections and collections records for
    repatriation program purposes.
  • Gather collections data as required for repatriation related
    inquiries.
  • Assist repatriation-related visitors to the collections.
  • Provide assistance and readily accessible information to
    repatriation-related visitors to Museum; and orients them in the use
    of the collections and records.
  • Most of this work is what I have done in my Masters Degree. Archives. Accessibility. Information Technology and Preservation. And what's more, I like this work. Accessibility was one of my more interesting subjects. I like data cataloging and helping people (customer service). I would be good at this job, and for fear of being seen as an idiot and/or being fired, I would be fast at learning the ropes.

    It would be a good fit for me and then I could finally move out! I could finally have a life of my own and make money and pay off bills and save up enough to travel and then also get my foot in the door to network and move up or out. Please Lord, what I'm asking is for a chance to have at least an interview, to win over the interviewer, and to get a job!! Help me focus on researching the institution. Help me focus on refreshing my memory of NAGPRA and Accessibility. Help me be professional when I hear back from them, and PLEASE let me hear back from the hiring official.

    I know that I don't always deserve what I get but I try to be humble and try to remember to be thankful. Please let me keep both in mind.



    No comments: