Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ask and You Shall Receive

Don't ever let it be said that I haven't acknowledged the power of prayer. Because as cliche as it sounds, it's true. Prayer is pretty darn cool... even for those who don't believe in a higher power, it's been proven to benefit moods and outcomes (along the line of self fulfilling prophecies). This is because prayer can be cathartic, a release of pent up emotion. It can make you feel as if you're being listened to, give you a boost of confidence by voicing thoughts and naming goals that you wouldn't have otherwise. And it can help you realize and focus your efforts on the most pressing or immediate problem.

That said, I think there is more to it than that. Someone is listening. Someone with a sense of humor :)

I read a story recently about a guy who wanted to be more loving, to be more accepting, to be a better person in general. He prayed day and night for one thing - for God to open his heart and for him to have a sign when he did. A year later, God did just that! The guy had to have open heart surgery.

Over a year ago I asked God via facebook if I could have 5 things. I said:
1) I need adventure
2) I need to meet new people
3) I need to travel
4) I need to get out on my own, and
5) I need a tan

Now, what are the chances that I would be granted every single one of those things in one fell swoop? Especially if there were no God!? (Atheists boggle my mind!) In less than a week I will be traveling cross country, to the Valley of the Sun in a state I have never been to before, in which I will live and work for an entire year. If that doesn't meet my criteria, I don't know what will!! (In previous posts, you may have noticed I was terrified about this possibility. But last week during training, I really came to grips with the idea and my crazy grandmother solidified my resolve. She keeps thinking I'm going to school, and the thought of me only being gone for two semesters makes me feel much more confident and a lot less scared... I've been gone for two semesters before!)

Furthermore, at the beginning of the year I wrote:

"I'm one step closer to finding the perfect job! I can feel it in my bones, this is my year to move out and make money! I just know that I'll hear something from someone... or find the perfect job to apply for! And then I can live independently and meet new people, make new friends, possibly a boyfriend which would be splendid! I can see it now, an almost adult-like life! I'll be able to pay off bills!! And see a doctor!! And save some money for a grand trip to New Zealand or Ireland to visit the places in my calendar!!

This is my year... I can feel it!!"


Now, I can honestly say that it's true. I did find the perfect job (albeit one that doesn't pay well but is at least anthropological!!). I will make money (albeit barely enough but still I'll get to move out and my loans will go into forbearance and will be one less thing to worry about). I will pay off my bills (I get my 5,000 towards loans in addition to accrued interest taken care of). I will live independently and I have already met new people (still working on the boyfriend bit, but at this point I'd settle for a date hehe). And I did see a doctor! Best part, I'll be done with my year of service mid-October 2011. With all the connections I'm going to make I'll have a job lined up to start by mid or end of November. Which means... I will still be able to spend at least 3 weeks in New Zealand during the Rugby World Cup!! 

Everything I asked for (sans possible bf) has come true!! And not just for me... for the people I've prayed for as well. 

I prayed one night after a long discussion with a friend, that she would realize she has something to offer. I prayed she would gain confidence and that she would realize guys might like her for just who she is. I found out that the following night, some random at a bar came up to her, told her he loved [certain barely noticeable features], and started making out with her. She may read this and still not believe she's anything special... but I asked and she received a blatantly obvious (and hilarious) answer!

I even prayed that my brother-in-law would be more active and participate with my sister - they went and painted pottery!

So now I'm on a roll... anything I can pray for you?

No comments: